In Secret...




As 2018 began, I realised I was in a completely different place from where I was last year - mentally, emotionally and physically (geographically, to be more specific). I had never desired to live outside of India, maybe just visit or study abroad for a bit. But now I live in Australia, one of the most beautiful countries in the world. And somehow it feels so odd to post pictures of the stunning beaches and landscapes. It feels odd to share pictures of genuine good times with my friends and husband too...why? Because I know so many of my dearest friends will never get to experience this country, or have some of the things I do, and it could make them feel envious. Maybe they're not married yet, or their spouse left them, or they were cheated on and crushed in every way. Maybe they have a broken family, or their mum just died and the picture of me and my mum opens up their deepest wounds. Perhaps I'm only more sensitive to this because we have been having a hard time getting pregnant, and all the beautiful babies whose pictures I absolutely love and adore can make me cry uncontrollably sometimes.

What we don't realise is when we share pictures with people who don't know our lives or struggles, these pictures scream "Oh look at me! And my amazing life!!" Or they scream (more subtly), I don't really like my significant other because I don't think he/she makes the cut to be in my profile pictures or, we aren't that serious yet and I don't want to seem too keen. At the end of the day it's all a big altar to ourselves. And I'm not going to play by its rules anymore.

Paul actually spoke about pretty much this same issue to the church in Corinth. The disciples in the church there were having trouble with their perceptions of those who ate food that had been offered to an idol. Some Christians didn't think anything of it, because obviously, the idol was just a man-made statue and so, the food was just food near a sculpture. But to some Christians, their consciences were deeply troubled by this kind of food that was offered to a fake god, and they didn't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole. So Paul responded firstly by addressing how you using Facebook is not the issue, it will not make you closer or further from God. No he wasn't talking about social media, but I think you can apply it to that - But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do. (1 Cor 8:8)
Secondly, be careful how you use your social media so it does not become a stumbling block for the weak - Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak. (1 Cor 8:9)
And thirdly, if someone shares how your post made them struggle, don't get defensive, just delete it -
Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother or sister to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause them to fall. (1 Cor 8:13)

Here are some more short tips to consider what we post:


  • Give glory to God:

This is what the Lord says:

“Let not the wise boast of their wisdom
    or the strong boast of their strength
    or the rich boast of their riches,
 but let the one who boasts boast about this:
    that they have the understanding to know me,
that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness,
    justice and righteousness on earth,
    for in these I delight,”
declares the Lord. (Jeremiah 9:23-24)


  • Don't overdo it

Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise-- why destroy yourself? - Solomon (Ecclesiastes 7:16)


  • Use it to build others up
It's good to take pictures and save our special memories, but we don't need to share all of it with everyone. In fact, we can choose stuff that will really encourage someone else, other than ourselves.
  • Put your notifications off so you can enjoy the moment and the company of your friends and family because nothing is more real that those moments you miss because you're looking at your phone.


I sincerely hope this helps us be more perceptive of what idol is being worshipped on your social media...is it our beautiful self, spouse, child, talents, friends/popularity, travel/worldliness? Or do we not post anything and look down on everyone who does. Whatever it may be, we can change our hearts and minds, and bring the spotlight back to God for his incredible grace to love such selfish, self-righteous and self-absorbed people.

Jesus did the most amazing miracles! He healed thousands of people, and even brought back people form the dead! He also had the best quiet times (Think about the mount of transfiguration! Or when the angel came to heal him while he was praying in the garden!), prayer life, fasting, and tithing. But in all of this he would constantly tell people not to boast about what he did, rather, go back to the temple and give glory to God. His guidelines on prayer were - “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. (Matthew 6:5-6) He said the same thing about us being charitable!“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. (Matthew 6:2-4) And if you keep reading he says to keep secret your fasting for God too.

How radically opposite and amazingly genuine our Jesus is! If he had a social media page today, I think it would be full of other people tagging him in posts where he was amazing. And he would probably untag a lot of it. We still don't know half of what he did on earth, rather, we know some of the most important bits. After all when John speaks of all the good things Jesus did, he says, "Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written." (John 21:25)

So here's my encouragement (to myself included), to not be influenced by what we see on social media but be the difference and the example, dressing ourselves with good deeds, strength and dignity.

"I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God." (1 Timothy 2:9-10)

"She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come." (Proverbs 31:25)

- little fire

Comments

Popular Posts