Evangelism Sheroes



Wherever we went as a family when I was a child, my mum would talk to all the strangers around us. Be it on a train, airplane, restaurant...anywhere! So growing up in the Kingdom, I had the privilege of seeing both my parents always reaching out to people, having them over for Bible talks, and baptizing them. This was a great source of joy to them, and to me because everyone was so friendly and loving. They both worked secular full-time jobs and were great disciples at the same time. Here's a picture of one of the Bible talks at our home in 1995. My dad is leaning back with the glasses on, my brother Nigel is in front of him, mum is taking the picture, and I'm the little person between two women.

Image may contain: 7 people

As a teen, it was very clear to me what being a disciple meant. That level of commitment coupled with how much sin I would have to cut out of my life scared me. Consequently, I went on my journey of rebellion like the prodigal son (I'll save that one for another post), and when I was 19 I finally realized what a broken place I had reached. I then told my parents I was ready to study the Bible and my dad started crying. Both of them had shared their faith with me my entire life but it took a while for me to seek it out myself. Fortunately by the grace of God, on March 26, 2010 I was baptized and made the best decision of my life making Jesus my Lord. I was so overjoyed about this second chance I got that I couldn't help but tell all my friends about it. And that first year 3 of my friends became Christians, and we had a Bible talk at the most atheist environment ever - a private art university! It was a lot like the woman at the well in John 4. Jesus helped her get perspective on where her decisions in life had taken her relationships, and helped her see who He was in the light of all the chaos.


The woman said to him, “Sir, give me this water so that I won’t get thirsty and have to keep coming here to draw water.”

He told her, “Go, call your husband and come back.”

“I have no husband,” she replied.

Jesus said to her, “You are right when you say you have no husband. 18 The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. What you have just said is quite true.”

...The woman said, “I know that Messiah” (called Christ) “is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.”

Then Jesus declared, “I, the one speaking to you—I am he.” - John 4:15-17, 25-26


How amazing must it have been for her to get to meet the Messiah! What had she done in her life to have such a privilege like this? She probably expected that when the Messiah came, he would be with the priests or more religious, righteous people. But he chose to reveal who He was to her! Her repentance and gratitude overflowed from her understanding that Jesus saw her, knew her, and wasn't ashamed to help her out. She couldn't contain her joy! She knew the Messiah! And she was going to tell everyone about it!

Thus the saying ‘One sows and another reaps’ is true. I sent you to reap what you have not worked for. Others have done the hard work, and you have reaped the benefits of their labor.”

Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman’s testimony, “He told me everything I ever did.” So when the Samaritans came to him, they urged him to stay with them, and he stayed two days. And because of his words many more became believers.

They said to the woman, “We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world.” - John 4:37-42

I'd like to emphasize just two things from this passage. 
1. This woman shared her faith with everyone 
2. People believed as a result!

Now we have to realize that God is the one who makes things grow and when we evangelize we are simply reaping the harvest of others work. All the different trials, struggles, triumphs, and answered prayers that happened to the person before we even met them was all God. And the fact that we met them, is also all God's perfect timing. But this can not happen if we do not put in the hard work (of evangelism) or have the faith (for - the harvest IS plentiful, the workers are few - Luke 10:2). The people believed in Jesus because this woman shared her testimony, and then they went back to His words, got deeper, and gained their own convictions! 

As women, it is so easy for us to tell all our friends about where we got the best pair of jeans for $20! Or talk about a good movie, book, sale, recipe...or any discovery really! Why not get as fired up to share unashamed about how we got a chance to be new again :) "For if we are out of our minds, it is for God; if we are of sound mind, it is for you." - 2 Cor 5:13 People will think you are nuts, but thats okay! You're doing it for God! And if they don't think you're crazy, they're actually open, which is amazing news!

The Woman at the Well is one of my favorite sheroes in the Bible because she constantly reminds me to share the good news with everyone of how God rescued me. The gospel is God's saving power for anyone who trusts in Christ. This is not geographically, or racially segregated. The same message worked on all types of people when I was in India, the USA, Sri Lanka and now will work in Australia. It doesn't matter if someone is an athlete, a drop out, a PhD student, a young professional, an old grandma or a single parent. It is for everyone who is prepared to acknowledge their sin and rebellion and turn in trusting faith to Christ.

If we all as women make a decision to help out just one person become a disciple this year, so many thousands of people will hear the gospel and be saved as a result! Theres no harm in setting a higher goal if you want, but just like the woman at the well let us all share with joy what God has done for us and be Evangelistic Sheroes.

Afterall...

"From one man he made all the people of the world. Now they live all over the earth. He decided exactly when they should live. And he decided exactly where they should live. 27 God did this so that people would seek him. And perhaps they would reach out for him and find him. They would find him even though he is not far from any of us." - Acts 17:26-27 (NIRV)


- Little Fire

Comments

  1. Three weeks ago we did a lesson for teens on how Jesus' love is unconditional - he decided to go to Galilee via Samaria and didn't take the boat, he spoke to the Samaritan woman, was patient and kind with her.
    How incredible is God's word.
    Your note is a yet another lesson from the same scripture - focusing on evangelism. I am terrible at it. Please pray for me.
    All the best for your evangelism journey in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sunaina for the encouragement and sharing your insights too :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts