All those weddings...

dribbblepopular:
“He is risen. http://ift.tt/2oGl28V
”

For the year that my husband and I lived in Virginia, we attended five weddings of new friends we had made during our time there. I kept wondering how we managed to be invited to such special receptions since we had only just moved there. I enjoyed them so much, and they were beautiful in every way, but I couldn't understand what warranted me even being there. 

I'm sure everyone goes through what I'm about to say without the Sri Lanka factor...but I've missed so many weddings of my very dear friends. Part of me tells me that this is better than being there and not being invited. But I lament not being able to share in my bridesmaids weddings and not get to be there for them like they were for me. I lament missing out on their lives and not being able to make more memories together. I lament not having a shared history with them anymore. On a shallower note, I also missed just being able to dress up take pretty pictures with my girlfriends. 

Imagine an amazing adventure novel where in every chapter the main characters that you get attached to disappear. Over and over again. I'm not going to pretend like I understand any of it or that it becomes easier to give my heart as time goes on. I'm just so glad that God is my constant, that I get to do this for Him, and someday it will all make sense. Why not give up all the weddings in the world with a cheerful non-complainy heart and eventually attend the ultimate banquet prepared for all of us? Why not delight and be happy for those who do get to participate in joyful celebrations? I've got to make the most of my time here and make sure I can invite and bring along with me as many guests as I can to that big banquet. Now when I look back at those fun weddings, I think God knew I needed new friends to keep my heart encouraged during this second phase of our marriage - as missionaries. 

"But when the perfect comes, the partial will come to an end." - 1 Cor 13:10 
Jesus replied, "You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand." - John 13:7
I really love these scriptures because it gives me so much closure to know the mysteries in the scriptures will be revealed someday...the Kingdom, Christ & the Church, Faith, Godliness, the 7 lampstands and so many more.

Here are some more scriptures I hold onto and they help me get outward focused instead of feeling sorry for myself. To get refocused on God's mission and celebrate him instead of myself.

Therefore, my dear brothers and sister, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 
1 Cor 15:58

For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.
2 Cor 4:17

God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them. We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, so that what you hope for may be fully realized. 
Heb 6:10-11

Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done.
Rev 22:12

In the past 1 year, 10 months and 17 days, we studied the Bible with a dating couple, baptized them, they dated again, got engaged, got married and now they're about to have a baby in August. Here's to their child getting to be a kingdom kid, and being able to learn about our living God from his/her youth. And most of all to the awaited wedding banquet we all get an invitation of grace to (Mt 22:1-14).

Comments

Popular Posts